DeviantART is a massive community, with 1.5 million comments contributing to inspirational and stimulating conversations each day. With the sheer amount of interaction taking place at any given time, we want to ensure you can make the most of your conversations, drawing friends in and bringing people together.
Mentions: Connecting People
Mentions are a new, highly requested feature that makes engaging friends and artists in conversation more dynamic than ever before.
What is a Mention?
A Mention is when a deviant’s username, icon, or artwork is included in a comment or Journal. Mentions create links to the deviants or artwork you include, allowing you to highlight artists and engage deviants with ease.
Links to pages on deviantART can quickly be distinguished by their bold, dark-blue color, while external links are darker and have an arrow indicating you are leaving deviantART.
Deviants you mention are notified in the new Mentions section of the Message Center, making engaging and involving others in conversation a simple, hassle-free experience.
How to Mention
There are four ways to mention a deviant.
Using Mentions Effectively
Mentions can be used to quickly and easily feature artists or help organize events:
- When submitting artwork in which you’ve used resources to create, you can credit the resource provider in your Artist’s Comments. The deviant will be notified once the artwork is submitted to deviantART.
- When in the middle of a conversation, you can bring people into a discussion, or reference comments made by another deviant in the midst of that discussion, to get that deviant's perspective as well.
- When featuring artwork, the featured artists will be notified right when your feature is posted.
- Mentions notifications are not sent for items located in private areas, such as in Sta.sh or the Admin Areas of Groups.
- Mentions notifications can be enabled or disabled from the Settings page.
- Mentions notifications can be disabled for individual deviations. To do so, click the arrow button that appears on the top right corner of a Mentions notification for the deviation you want disabled. From there, select "Ignore future mentions of...", and Mentions will be disabled for that deviation.