In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Image Adjustments and Cropping in deviantART muro (Beta Testers)
A new set of tools have been added to deviantART muro for Beta Testers, for even more options when creating and editing artwork! The tools added include a way to crop images and make various changes to color settings, including contrast, tint, and color temperature. These changes give you an even broader means of creating dynamic works of art!
- The "My Journal" option when submitting a Journal has been renamed "Featured" for clarity and consistency. Changed by shahyarg
- Various pronouns across the site were made consistent. Many instances of "my" were removed or changed to "your". This includes changing "my.deviantart.com/..." URLs to just "deviantart.com/..." Changed by muteor
- Share buttons have been given a more prominent placement at the top of the deviation sidebar. Changed by allixsenos
- Uploading an image to the deviantID widget briefly stopped working. Fixed by muteor
- There was an issue with adding files to Portfolio galleries. Fixed by shadowhand
- The navigation calendar on the Daily Deviations page did not work properly. Fixed by shahyarg
- Playback controls for deviantART muro redraws would not appear when browsing was set to zoomed in. Fixed by muteor
- Some modals had incorrect backgrounds. Fixed by shadowhand
- Clicking through pages on a deviant's Gallery would not always work. Fixed by muteor
- Icons on the Manage Deviations page did not reflect the state of the deviation. Fixed by shahyarg
- Sometimes ads would overlap modals when giving Points or purchasing Premium Content. Fixed by muteor
- Some Group Galleries had display issues with some or all of their Gallery Folders. Fixed by randomduck
- The Edit pencil icon would not appear on thumbnails in a Group's Featured folder. Fixed by muteor
- A very small number of thumbnails would display smaller than intended, resulting in a slight upscaling. Fixed by shahyarg
- +Watching deviants from the Manage Friends page did not always work. Fixed by muteor
- When setting up or editing one's Porfolio, removing an image from one gallery and adding it to another caused a duplicate error. Fixed by shadowhand
- Attempting to remove items from one's Wishlist did not work. Fixed by muteor
- Help information for portfolio domain settings was incorrect. Fixed by shadowhand
- Motion Book deviations would appear twice when browsing. Fixed by muteor
- Some Premium Membership notifications would display on Group widgets. Fixed by allixsenos
- Partially transparent images made with DeviantArt muro were incorrectly shown with a shadow once saved to Sta.sh or submitted to deviantART. Fixed by mudimba
- In some conditions, the "Watch Redraw" button would not work properly. Fixed by mudimba
- When viewing a Redraw in Artist View, there were visual issues with some of the buttons. Fixed by mudimba
- When resizing a Chrome browser window with deviantART muro open, a bug in the browser would make the checkerboard transparency background become mis-aligned. Fixed by mudimba
Sta.sh / Submit
- When editing an item in Sta.sh, unchecking "download" in the publication settings no longer hides the downloads statistics of the sta.sh item. Fixed by kouiskas
- Changing Premium Content settings after publishing a deviation would only work if the price was changed to something other than the default. Fixed by kouiskas
- A saved Sta.sh item could be submitted to a locked category if the category settings had been saved before the category was locked. Fixed by drommk
- A watermark would sometimes appear on a deviation submitted at original size. Fixed by kouiskas
- It was possible for the thumbnail adjust buttons to not appear, if the thumbnail was hovered over immediately after being added to Writer. Fixed by kemayo
- Drawing on an image in DeviantArt muro and then returning to Sta.sh Writer would hide the resize handles for that image until you reloaded the page or switched it to a thumbnail and back. Fixed by kemayo
- When leaving a comment in Sta.sh, dragging a file onto that Sta.sh item's page would cause an error if done before the sidebar opened. Fixed by inazar
- Dragging images around inside of a Writer document would turn them into links in Chrome 26+ on OSX only. Fixed by inazar
- Improvements were made to the HTML allowed when leaving comments in Sta.sh. Fixed by inazar
- Sta.sh comments can now be submitted by pressing ctrl+enter (command+enter, for Mac). Fixed by inazar
- Emoticons sidebar will now say "No matches" if there are no results, instead of remaining blank. Fixed by inazar
- When leaving comments in Sta.sh, opening two replies and then closing the first one would cause an error. Fixed by inazar
- Improvements were made to Writer's ability to translate pasted text into formatting that is allowed on deviantART. Fixed by Alisey
- Thumbnails for Motion Book deviations would appear broken in Writer documents until submitted. Fixed by Alisey
- Pressing arrow keys could result in the page scrolling even when Writer had focus. Fixed by Alisey
Thank you for the feedback on last week's Site Update! Here's some of the feedback you left for us.
- Deviants were mostly positive about the new Write a Journal Entry page. Some deviants voiced concern about not wanting to use rich-text or preferring to use HTML, and so we wanted to clarify for deviants who currently do not have access to Beta Testing. The new Write a Journal Entry page can be switched into HTML mode from the Edit menu, which lets you type purely using code and acts the same way that the old Write a Journal Entry page does.
- Feedback on last week's discussion topic varied. Some deviants choose to look primarily at Featured folders and not explore the rest of deviants' Galleries, some like to explore specific folders, and others prefer to click Browse to view all of a deviant's Gallery at once.
- When submitting deviations, some deviants place everything in their Featured folder, while others choose not to use the Featured folder, or only put what they consider to be their very best in the Featured folder.
The Journal Portal Categories
When submitting Journals, you can submit to a number of categories within the Journal Portal. Do you find these categories straightforward? Are there improvements that you would like to see made to the Journal Portal? Are there ones you would add, remove, or merge?