In our continuous effort to improve the deviantART experience, we're publishing weekly Site Updates to keep members informed and to gather feedback. Below is a list of recent changes to the site, bug fixes, and feedback that was brought up by members in the last Site Update.
Sta.sh Writer and Comments (Beta Testers)
Sta.sh Writer has been integrated into comments for Beta Testers! Sta.sh Writer allows rich text editing of literature and journal deviations on deviantART, and we are excited to expand this functionality to more areas of the site.
The new "Add Media" button allows rich text editing and multiple other features to be employed on these comments. Not only does it improve on functionality that already exists in comments, it also pulls in the full power of the Sta.sh Writer application into your comments, revolutionizing creative communication.
Email Verification for Account Security
Account security is something we take very seriously. In order to improve and ensure account security on deviantART, we've introduced a new notification in order to verify that your email address is still up to date.
Occasionally, you may receive a notice asking if your registered email is still up-to-date. If we can verify that your email is still usable, then you can confirm this with one click. Otherwise, you will be prompted to update your email address from the page you are on. This is a safe and secure way to ensure that your account information is valid, should we need to contact you for any reason, or vice versa.
- Clicking the "Contribute to Group" button on the deviation page would sometimes take users to that Group's Gallery. Fixed by muteor
- The "Submitting to:" folder menu in the "Contribute to Group" modal did not open. Fixed by helloandre
- Various issues with Commissions Widget and deviantART Points displays for logged out users were fixed. Fixed by adahacker
- For Firefox users, using control+click (command+click, for Mac users) and control+shift+click on a thumbnail in a deviant's Gallery would not open the deviation in a new tab. Fixed by shahyarg
- 'Limit' and 'Sold' stats were removed from the Commissions Widget. Fixed by helloandre
- Publicly displayed birth dates were incorrect for a small number of users. Fixed by yury-n
- After changing one's avatar from one's Profile Page, the pencil menu outline would still be visible. Fixed by shahyarg
- There were some visual issues with error messages when submitting. Fixed by DEVlANT
- One could still visit More Like This results for deleted deviations. Fixed by helloandre
- When sharing a deviation on Twitter by using the Share button, the tweet would not include the artist's Twitter handle, even if they had their Twitter widget enabled. Fixed by DEVlANT
Sta.sh / Submit
- For thumbnails of stacks where the top item is a Sta.sh Writer document, the thumbnail's title is no longer overridden by the stack's title. Fixed by kouiskas
- When zooming in on an item in Sta.sh, browsing to the next one will keep the zoom preference. Fixed by kouiskas
- Closed a loophole that allowed other users to view random Sta.sh item titles (but not any other content). Fixed by drommk
- Clicking on a stack in the sidebar could break the sidebar and not show the stack's contents. Fixed by kemayo
- The search box in the sidebar was not properly aligned after searching. Fixed by kemayo
- Pressing backspace sometimes wouldn't delete a thumbnail. Fixed by inazar
- When editing an old Journal entry, the button still said "Submit Journal" instead of "Update". Fixed by kemayo
- When leaving a comment in Sta.sh, the Emoticons tab was selected initially, instead of the Conversation tab. Fixed by kemayo
- There were some visual issues, when previewing a comment in Sta.sh. Fixed by inazar
- Image controls could continue to display if they were visible when a Sta.sh comment was submitted. Fixed by inazar
Thank you for the feedback on last week's Site Update! Here's some of the feedback you left for us:
- Deviants were pleased with the launch of Undiscovered.
- Generally, deviants liked the launch of the new Write a Journal Entry page.
- Some deviants mentioned that they would like the setting for HTML or Rich-Text mode to be retained from one journal to another, rather than defaulting to Rich-Text mode each time one visits the page.
- Other deviants mentioned that they would like the Media sidebar to be closable, so that they can use it when they want to, but don't have to have it open if they don't want to.
- In response to the Discuss topic, some deviants said that they prefer to use HTML mode, and others replied saying they like to switch between HTML and Rich-Text modes.
Advice for Commissions
As an artist offering commissions, what advice would you provide to other artists looking to offer commissions, when it comes to good practices and ways to market yourself? As a person who requests commissions, what are some tips you would give others for making the process of commissioning art as smooth as possible?